Although not based on rigorous statistics, we think that currently more than 70% of the over 3100 species that occur spontaneously in Romania (Ciocârlan, 2009) are already illustrated. Of course the illustration may be enhanced in such a way that depicts clearly the important characters needed for identification. 98% of species are included in database. At the moment (Dec 2012), no approximation can be given for statistics on infraspecific taxa. Considering that nomenclature is complex, and taxomic concepts of many vascular plants are under debate and change, it would be best that observations entered in database are identified to infraspecific level. In this way, the inherent redistribution of observations under new accepted names would be somewhat simplified.
The aims of this project are to:
- illustrate each species of vascular plants from Romania in visualKeys, and build species pages where information is available.
- gather distribution data for vascular plant species in Romania and build occurence maps.
- index all literature that document occurrences of vascular plants in Romania.
- index species citations in scientific literature and georeference occurence records from published records.
- digitize personal or museum collections.
- assemble a checklist for Romania (this is an inevitable by-product of points above).
- make more people aware of this very diverse &interesting morphologically and physiologically group of organisms (this is an inevitable by-product of points above).
If you are from another country, and would like to build something similar, just create another project. You could benefit from data already gathered...as a starter. visualKeys are global in geographic scope, so species shared by several countries are treated once...it is not necessary to write twice the same species page!!! For the rest, take advantage of the whole infrastructure and build your own country dataset, build your own page in blogosphere with your colors logo and details...and voila, you have a project running in no time.
For functions and modules that may be appropriate for vascular species pages just drop an email or message in forum. We can build and integrate these modules sometimes in very short time. Just give it a try!